What breed for us?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gypsyroseplus6, Nov 30, 2012.

1. gypsyroseplus6

gypsyroseplus6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    My husband and I are looking into having back yard chickens. One thing we cant figure out is what breed would be good for us. We live in Massachusetts and near the ocean. So it can get cold. We would like something that lays 5 or more eggs in a week. We would rather have a calmer more loving breed if possible. We have 5 kids and would LOVE for them to interact with the children. Anyone have any idea on what breed would be best for our needs?

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    so do you want a broody because cochins and silkies just love hatching chicks :jumpy . if you don't want chicks though get a rhode island red i have two and get an egg from each of them a day :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    and all you have to do to have a loving chicken is too spend alot of time with them and when ever you come in the coop they will learn to just come and hop on your lap :D

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest orpingtons. Mine lays 6 - 7 large eggs per week and they are quite curious, calm, and friendly. My kids 2-4 &6 get along with them well. They do have a single comb so I would suspect the roosters could get frostbite but my hens do fine. They do go broody though so that is a downfall on the laying front but on the upside you can raise the next generation of layers w/o much effort on your part. I have also heard australorps are great too but have not had personal experience.

5. gypsyroseplus6

Nov 30, 2012
    No. I live in the city. While they allow chickens they do NOT allow roosters so I don't need one that wants to hatch chicks.

6. gypsyroseplus6

Nov 30, 2012
    no roosters allowed where I live. They allow chickens though. I have to get permits.

7. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    than rhode island are perfect for you they have broodiness bred out of them :D

8. gypsyroseplus6

Nov 30, 2012
    LOL I used to have turkeys when I was a teen. (They were mine. Parents originaly bought them for slaughter....YAHHH that didnt happen LMAO!). They were free range. I would lay in the yard and all four would lay on me. The lightest one was 55 pounds heavest was 60.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

10. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    thats so cute :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by