What Breed & Gender are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skullgrrrl, Sep 10, 2012.

1. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

My hen hatched some eggs I got from 3 different farms - they are all mixed heritage breeds. Can someone tell me what breed these might be? And sex? They are 5 wks old here. I will submit better & more up-to-date photos soon. Thanks

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The barred one is probably a rooster. I would need better photos to help you with the rest.

3. skullgrrrl

Sep 10, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of - he's my favourite and I didn't want to end up with any roos. Most of the others look like pullets - very small combs, smaller in size. I will post better photos of them soon.

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    I believe you have1. a Cuckoo Marans pullet maybe, 2. Sexlink maybe, and he's a roo, and the white and black looks like a mixed pullet. But better pics would confirm for sure, but the red bird is roo.

5. skullgrrrl

Sep 10, 2012
    okay, here are some more photos, any help on breed & gender would be appreciated, they are now 10 wks old
    d[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At ten weeks they're all cockerels except the first bird.
    the first bird could be a sex link, basically a red roo over a silver hen.
    The second bird has one barred parent.
    The third and fourth birds are red. Rhode island, new hamp, whatever the farm had.
    The last bird probably has a barred parent and a parent with a rose or pea comb.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree. The first bird looks like a hen. The others appear to be cockerals, especially with so much comb at such a young age.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x3

9. skullgrrrl

Sep 10, 2012
    re: the photos above: i concede that the red one & the barred ones are roos, but the white & black one (see above & below) has a fairly small comb - so why do you think its a roo? sorry the photo isn't great but it is a profile shot. the other two (white w/beige having a dust bath and a solid black one) look like pullets to me. any idea what breed? thanks again
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With the white/barred bird, that comb won't ever get huge as it's a pea comb. So, you go by the amount of redness and overall plumpness. Plus, look at the little rows on it. On pea combs 3 rows as a rule mean male.

The second and third birds here look like pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by