What breed/gender is my chick?

Buttersthechick

Hatching
Dec 13, 2019
Hi! So my aunt has chickens and recently got a chick that looks different from the rest. It’s been picked on and doesn’t have a mom so it stuck to me when I was there for a few days. Neither my aunt or I know what breed it is or gender, can anyone help me? (Look at picture)

Attachments

• 0267E550-2F47-4619-80C2-68DEF30956F8.png
    0267E550-2F47-4619-80C2-68DEF30956F8.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
what type of comb does she have? Do you know her age? She looks EE, but she could have game in her? I'm not as familiar with the game birds.

Its always difficult to integrate a single bird into a flock. There's only one 'target' for the established flock's territorial aggression. And that's what this is. The current flock is defending it's territory from what they see as an interloper. That's why this little lady is hanging out with you. She sees you guys as safe, since your not picking on her.

If you have the room and the ability, I'd get a couple more pullets, from different places (so there's no relationships). I'd put those three (including this one) together in their own pen, so that they could befriend each other. Once they have bonded and become their own flock, then I would start integrating them with the rest of your flock. With the multiple 'targets' there will be less picking for each bird.

Beautiful chick! Sorta hard to tell at her age with the plumage she has. Someone mentioned Easter egger, and its likely possible. Id like to also consider black sex links as well, since my girl had very similar plumage as that.
Otherwise I'm really unsure? Looks like a pullet though.
20190402_171529.jpg
20190417_165424.jpg

Beautiful chick! Sorta hard to tell at her age with the plumage she has. Someone mentioned Easter egger, and its likely possible. Id like to also consider black sex links as well, since my girl had very similar plumage as that.
Otherwise I'm really unsure? Looks like a pullet though.
View attachment 1980739 View attachment 1980740
Thank you! I’m not sure how old she is, how old are yours?

what type of comb does she have? Do you know her age? She looks EE, but she could have game in her? I'm not as familiar with the game birds.

Its always difficult to integrate a single bird into a flock. There's only one 'target' for the established flock's territorial aggression. And that's what this is. The current flock is defending it's territory from what they see as an interloper. That's why this little lady is hanging out with you. She sees you guys as safe, since your not picking on her.

If you have the room and the ability, I'd get a couple more pullets, from different places (so there's no relationships). I'd put those three (including this one) together in their own pen, so that they could befriend each other. Once they have bonded and become their own flock, then I would start integrating them with the rest of your flock. With the multiple 'targets' there will be less picking for each bird.
Thank you so much! This was really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom