What Breed/Gender is this??!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenluver555, Jul 28, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Songster

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I thought I bough three hens. They are all 19 weeks old. The other two have laid eggs already, but this one hasn't yet. But, this one is also much smaller than the others and has no comb at all! I heard that roosters take longer to develop, and are usually smaller. I really need to know if this is a pullet or cockerel, so that I know if I should eat the eggs or not. Also, I think it is an Easter Egger, but it seems different than my other two EE's. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is an EE pullet, and there is no reason that you could not eat the eggs even if it were a rooster. Fertile eggs do not start developing until incubated and are consumed by anyone keeping a flock with a rooster.

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Sorry I can't tell from your pictures, they are so small. At a guess I would say hen. There is no problem in eating fertilised eggs, just remove the eggs on the day they are laid so they can't be incubated by the hen.

4. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Songster

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    okay. sorry for the pics. I am trying to make them bigger

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I can't get your pictures to enlarge, but that looks like a typical EE pullet. EEs are mixes that hopefully carry the blue egg gene, so they can really look like anything depending on what the breeder was using in the mix. In my experience EE pullets will generally start laying at around 18 weeks but it can vary from 16 -24+ weeks depending on the individual... and what breeds were in the mix. I'm not sure what you mean about eating the eggs, pullet eggs are fine to eat, they are usually just small, they sometimes lay odd eggs when they are getting started but that should stop in a month or two

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I've just seen your updated pictures and I think it's a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: