what breed/gender?

jwest

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
howdy. we've never had chickens before and recently got given 2 chicks. they're 8 - 9 weeks old, and i figure they're some kind of leghorn variant, but am not sure. and i wouldnt have a clue as to gender. i'd love some opinions...

also, was wondering what people do when they find out they have a rooster? we're in a city so we cant keep them.

thanks,

jack

45549_img_0042.jpg

45549_img_0051.jpg

45549_img_0050.jpg

45549_img_0058.jpg

45549_img_0037.jpg

One with the black markings a delaware maybe? The other seems a little chunky for a leghorn, but fits otherwise as far as I know. I agree, two roos.
Can't have a rooster? Some folks grow them out until they are of a size to butcher. Others advertise them on Craigslist or the like for sale or free - free will get you a better shot of re-homing them, although they might end up in someone's stew pot.

ya and i would still say hen, big combs (lots of layers have big combs), but there body shape is sooo henlihious.

And they both have white legs, so that puts out rocks...

I'm thinking cornish x rocks- going by their shape. Both look like hens right now- the cornish crosses develop quickly, and that might account for the red combs. However- I have seen cornish roos & hens that are very similar.

yeah, too much dark for delaware. likely columbian or light sussex. i hope otherwise, but i say roos. you can eat them; of course fried chicken and fried Bart are not quite the same.

they have hen feathering and body shape, but I am 100% sure that they are hens or roosters wait a bit if they are roosters then they will crow soon.
I live in a city and my father drove our roosters out to a tree farm's and a horse stables and let them loose (we had 9 roosters to get rid of).

Definately roosters. Hens wouldn't have that kind of comb developement at 8 weeks.

I would say white sussex or orpington and light sussex.

Back
Top Bottom