what breed/gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jwest, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jwest

jwest New Egg

Dec 9, 2009
    howdy. we've never had chickens before and recently got given 2 chicks. they're 8 - 9 weeks old, and i figure they're some kind of leghorn variant, but am not sure. and i wouldnt have a clue as to gender. i'd love some opinions...

also, was wondering what people do when they find out they have a rooster? we're in a city so we cant keep them.

thanks,

jack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    at 8 to 9 weeks, I'm going to guess 2 roosters, but I'm no expert, I'm sure there will be others along.

3. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Ditto - not an expert (yet) - 2 roosters. All my girls didn't have such big and red comb at 8 to 9 weeks.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One with the black markings a delaware maybe? The other seems a little chunky for a leghorn, but fits otherwise as far as I know. I agree, two roos.
    Can't have a rooster? Some folks grow them out until they are of a size to butcher. Others advertise them on Craigslist or the like for sale or free - free will get you a better shot of re-homing them, although they might end up in someone's stew pot.

5. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Looks like a Columbian rock and a white rock. Both looks like roosters.

6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    ya and i would still say hen, big combs (lots of layers have big combs), but there body shape is sooo henlihious.

And they both have white legs, so that puts out rocks...

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm thinking cornish x rocks- going by their shape. Both look like hens right now- the cornish crosses develop quickly, and that might account for the red combs. However- I have seen cornish roos & hens that are very similar.

8. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    yeah, too much dark for delaware. likely columbian or light sussex. i hope otherwise, but i say roos. you can eat them; of course fried chicken and fried Bart are not quite the same.

9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    they have hen feathering and body shape, but I am 100% sure that they are hens or roosters wait a bit if they are roosters then they will crow soon.
    I live in a city and my father drove our roosters out to a tree farm's and a horse stables and let them loose (we had 9 roosters to get rid of).

10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Definately roosters. Hens wouldn't have that kind of comb developement at 8 weeks.

I would say white sussex or orpington and light sussex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by