What breed has the best Roos?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TexasChicken12, Jan 13, 2015.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Generally speaking, which breed tends to have the best roosters? They would have to protect the flock, treat the hens right, and be non-aggressive. I have a 2 year old cousin that comes to our house on an almost daily basis, so non-aggressive is very important. We free-range our hens and have a slew of Hawks, coyotes, and stray dogs and cats. Thanks for all your help!

2. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    I have had Orpington and dominique roos that were good to the hens and protective when they free ranged. I have a golden lacewing wyndotte who is rough on hens-scratches out all their back feathers when breeding.

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    In general Orpingtons, Brahmas, and Cochins are quite docile. It can be hit and miss. Maybe get a few roosters and see which one works out the best.

4. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    Ok! We have some Buff Orpintons. We don't have room for manny more so we can't get a few roos and only keep the best one. We would have to get them from chicks because we don't have the stuff to quarantine. Aren't cochens bantams? Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    I have read on here that Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens are very sweet-tempered towards people. Do y'all know if they can protect the hens from predators and if they are good with the hens. We have a ton of hawks around here and some coyotes. Thanks for all your help, I sure need it!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Having raised dozens of breeds for the past 50 years, in my experience, the term "non-aggressive" does not typically go with the phrase "protecting the flock." The best roosters are protecting the flock are game roosters which are normally aggressive (sometimes extremely so) roosters. Truthfully, given the kind of predators you're talking about (coyotes, hawks, stray dogs) no breed of rooster is going to be able to stand against. The rooster is just as likely to become the predator's dinner in such cases as the hens. The best protection you can give free ranging chickens is a couple of "well trained" guard dogs during the day, and locking the flock up securely in the coop at night; and even then you will likely experience an occasional loss. You will just have to decide whether the losses are acceptable or not. Good luck with your flock.

7. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    I was thinking along the lines of giving a warning so the hens can run back to the coop. A hawk flew 20 yards away from them the other day and they had no idea.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Unfortunately the more aggressive breeds like game roosters would tend to work best in that regard as well. The roosters of the docile breeds have had so much of the wild alertness of their ancestors bred out of them, that they would likely never notice or react to a hawk as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by