What breed hen am I or am I a mutt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elieugene6, Jul 22, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Please don't take into account the chicks as they are jersey giants. I got her from someone in the city that had a bunch of hens a few years back and just wondering what she is got 2 others that I need to get pics of to ask as well. Just interested so I know what breeds I have. Thanks a bunch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. littlestars17

littlestars17 Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    She looks like my golden comets : )

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    She is a Red Star of Red Sex Link. these were my first breed of chickens. They lay huge brown eggs and I have actually had one go broody (which is not supposed to happen with these types of hens) Had she been sitting on eggs and hatched them out or did you place them in with her? I have White jersey giants and they are nice chickens and they are definitely the broody type. Have had 3 go broody and then one has raised 2 babies and moved on and now is broody again. Gosh!

4. elieugene6

elieugene6 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Wow another sex link. I have 3 golden comet hens and didn't even occur to me that she looks kind of similar. She was very broody wouldn't get off the nest no matter what I tried and I tried alot. So after 2 months of trying and failing I got her some eggs and she sat on them for another month. She is at least 4 years old because thats how long I have had her for. She has become a sweetheart since she was broody I guess not much choice but to like people when they keep pestering you and you're on a nest with no escape. lol. As for the chicks I really hope they end up being hens too many roosters this year and I started it out with none. I am up to 3 with the possibility of 3 more.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:I totally understand how you feel. Last year was my 1st full year with chickens. My Red Star was the 1st to go broody but she was a good momma. She to hatched out 3 roosters. I hated to do it but I had to get rid of 2 because it was to much to have 4 roos running around attacking each other and over zealous with my girls. So far this year I have 2 known roosters Duke (3 months) and Dexter (6 weeks) and have 8 more that are 2 young to see yet. Then not to mention the eggs that haven't hatched out yet. I love the thrill of having babies but it makes me sad that I can't keep all of my boys. I am so in love with them it hurts to see them go. But good homes are for them that they can have their own harem. LOL.....

6. rocky123

rocky123 Hatching

Jul 22, 2010
    Marble, CO
    I think she is a Rhode Island Red.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Red Sex Link Hen. [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think she is a red sex link. She's very pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by