What breed hens should I get for laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fort Chicken, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Fort Chicken

Fort Chicken In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    I need some advice. I'm going to buy four more hens but I dont know what kind to get. I what them put out a lot of eggs . because I'm going to sell some eggs. I need some help on what kind of hen to get . Please !!!!!!!!!!! :[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Rennie

Rennie Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Im sure everyone will have different views on this .. But i think Hybrids are good for laying eggs in my opinion

According toThis website

Leghorn
    Rhode Island Reds
    Black Star
    Red Star
    Light Sussex
    Plymouth Rock
    Cuckoo Maran
    Barred Rock

Are the best egg laying breeds

3. mike67909

mike67909 Chirping

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan
    Black star
    leghorns
    EE's
    New hampshire reds
    Isa brown's

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Large breeds go with Black stars.Ive had great resluts with them

Working gals: American Game hens..medium white eggs,but they lay every day.mine hasnt had a day off with the exception of being broody slaves.

Remember: NO CHICKEN LAYS MORE THAN ONE EGG A DAY!!

5. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I have an ISA Brown who I have had for a good year (she was laying when I got her) and she only takes the occasional day off (like maybe one a month or less)

I have an Araucana (more likely an EE) and she lays me a pretty blue/green egg most days - She takes a day off about once every 2 weeks or so.

I have an Australorp and she she lays almost as often as the ISA Brown EXCEPT, she goes broody (which is to be expected)

6. Fort Chicken

Fort Chicken In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    thanks [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Australorps are great if you have kids around, they are very calm and give me an egg a day they also start laying at 18 weeks.

Leghorns are the most economical egg machines, but they get very nervous and with little kids or other small living things it is hot so great, they also don;t really get along with anyone (bird or human).

I found the reds to mean to keep around, even for eggs and since they are large they are not as economical as a smaller bird that lays fewer eggs.

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    great info! reading this thread to see how we will fair with egg production with the breeds we chose...which are 4 Red Sex Links, 4 RIR, 2 SLW, 2 BA, 1 Barred Rock, 3 EE's

Quote:

9. RM44

RM44 Songster

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    My RIRs, Black Australorps and Dominiques all give me an egg a day (well, out of 8 of those laying, I get 7-8 eggs a day). Mine are young though, at 6 months old, so in their "prime" egg production. The Dominques' eggs are medium sized though, while the RIRs and BAs are pretty big. My 3 easter eggers have just started laying and theirs are medium large at this point. I get 2 (out of 3 hens) a day from them. If the other size trends continue (smaller when they first start laying), then I expect their eggs to start coming in at the "large" range too, within a few weeks.

10. SunChick

SunChick Songster

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I got some buff productions, I heard they were good and docile.

Nelgkel: are you getting them from Andrew at Funky Chicken? He is in W. Melbourne, I got my buffs, welsummer, and EE from him. He has a big selection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by