what breed? how old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cargilelove, Oct 11, 2013.

1. cargilelove

cargilelove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    hi all!!

i bought this chicken and she is not laying... i'm hoping she is just young. i can't seem to find any other chickens that look like her. any thoughts?
    thanks!

jamie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She looks like a hatchery bred light Brahma or a light Brahma cross. she looks like a pullet not yet ready to lay.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. cargilelove

Jul 21, 2013
    thanks for your reply! that's what i was hoping!! i'm a rookie and totally in love with keeping chickens. : )

jc

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The good news is it is female, lol. that's always a good start!
    she looks to be a hatchery light Brahma. My first thought is she's just young and not ready to lay yet. Brahmas are known as a "giant" breed and are slower to mature than most dual purpose breeds, meaning she'd also be slower to start laying.

Then, I'm looking at the feathering on her neck and wondering if she's molting? I'm really not sure from the picture, but it could be either one. A molt would mean she's more like 18 months old and probably taking a break for the winter. Either way, you might not get eggs until spring as Brahmas aren't known for being stellar layers. They are beautiful, stately birds, though!

5. cargilelove

Jul 21, 2013
    it's getting colder here so i am imagining that she is young and molting. she is a sweet gal and we are happy to have her. yes, we are glad she is a she. ; )

jc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by