1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed ?? I was told they were Welsummers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tone3822, Nov 30, 2016.

1. tone3822

tone3822 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2016
    Hello,
    Im very new. I was told they were 5 months welsummer. [​IMG]

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I'm guessing mixed breed. Does one of them have a pea comb? And at least one of them looks rumpless, unless I just can't see very well. [​IMG] Anyways, here is a link to what a Welsumer should look like....

http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer

3. tone3822

Nov 29, 2016
    Yes both of them are rumbles or have no tail?
    Here is pic of the head.

[​IMG]

4. EggSighted4Life

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  5. tone3822

Nov 29, 2016
    Yes both birds are identical. I got them from a farm near my house. She had a lot of different chickens all in different horse stalls. She told me these chickens were good for beginnersbut also said they lying eggs but I have not got any as of yet.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think they look like hatchery quality partridge Rocks, or barnyard mixes.

there is a difference between tail-less and rumpless. Those birds look like they're lacking tail feathers, but not rumpless. Rumpless birds have a down-hill build when standing upright. Easy way to tell is to feel. If they have a tail bone, they're not rumpless. Just had the tail feathers picked out by someone...I'm thinking that's the case here.

They don't look quite mature enough to lay eggs, to me. Combs are still smallish and not nice and plump with bright red color. That will be your sign of readiness to lay eggs.

7. tone3822

Nov 29, 2016

Thankyou for your response!very helpful

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

9. EggSighted4Life

I was actually wondering if the tail feathers had been pulled on those two. Thank you for clarifying.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No problem. Lots of times folks go right to the "rumpless", when the bird is simply missing tail feathers.

Google some pics of real rumpless birds like the Aracauna. They have a very distinct profile, a kind of downward build. They're not simply missing the showy tail feathers, the actual structure of the bird is different. I would love to place hands on a true rumpless bird and feel the bone structure for myself one day.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by