what breed is best for me ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greatpyraneese, Apr 1, 2012.

1. greatpyraneese

greatpyraneese New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    well,as the title states,what breed is best for me? I live in a state where we have cold and hot weather so they need to be weather hardy. I live in the country but i have two large dogs so there will be little to no free ranging(this is ok isn't it ? ). Also,weather or not the chicken breed is a good egg layer does not matter. I just want chickens for the company and entertainment. I have been doing my research but im just not sure and thought i could use some information from expirenced chicken owners.

thanks very much! This information is very much appreciated.[​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    You could try Jersey Giants! (If you don't mind big birds) Or Orpingtons.

You could also try bantams. Old English Game bantams seem to match your request.

3. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    My Orphington is sweet and funny. She made friends and was playing with a squirrel the other day. [​IMG] I could hardly believe my eyes.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Really!? Aww[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Does the Jersey Giant do well in hot weather?

I know Orpingtons are not the best for hot weather, but they do well in cold weather.

Plymouth Rock, which has many varieties, is cold and heat tolerant, and these chickens are generally friendly.

Australorp is a breed that is good in hot or cold weather, and these chickens are generally friendly.

It just happens that Plymouth Rock and Australorp are good layers. What would you do with the eggs?

Here is some information on popular breeds:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    [​IMG] Bullitt has a good thread, I also recommend you too look at it!

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you.

I thought you could answer my question. Do Jersey Giants do well in the heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by