1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is best for showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ali Gator, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Ali Gator

Ali Gator Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I have recently started 4h club and they have poultry judging. What breed is best. I want something dosile. It doesn't really matter if it can lay. My top breeds are porclein booted bantams, Hamburgs, Cubalayas, Seabrights,Sicilian buttercups. I am only twelve so I need something dosile.

2. Shark Akhrrana

Shark Akhrrana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    I have been wandering about this too.

3. Ali Gator

Ali Gator Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I do have a beautiful chicken I cant remember what breed. All I know is that he is f2. Can anyone tell me what breed?

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    *Docile* I would recommend bantam Brahmas or bantam cochins. They are calm UNLIKE Hamburgs and Sebrights. Plus I've heard Sebrights are hard to raise up. LF Brahmas always get stared at and people are amazed by their size. BTW don't buy from a hatchery. Their stock is garbage.

5. Shark Akhrrana

Shark Akhrrana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    I have some mixed breed chickens. And some Brahma chicks I got from a hatchery. So I suppose they are not show quality.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brahmas tend to be docile; some cochins are and some are not. The most aggressive chickens I have ever seen were bantam cochin cockerels. (But I have also seen some very sweet cochins). Most silkies are docile. Nankins are, polish tend to be, some booted bantams are and some are not. Araucana can be really sweet, serama are docile, some moderns are, some dutch are.

7. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    English Orpingtons are VERY docile and make a wonderful show chickens, egg layers, meat birds and mothers...I breed them and will soon be selling hatching eggs..feel free to check out my website...the link to it and my FB page are below in my signature! Please feel free to PM me on here or E-mail me @...[email protected] if you have any questions or are interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by