what breed is best

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SteeleFaithFarm, Jun 3, 2012.

1. SteeleFaithFarm

SteeleFaithFarm In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Union, Illinois
    My wife and I are increasing our flock of birds. We started with3 laying hens. A RIR, barred rock, and an Americana. This year we bought a variety of chicks. Delawares, dark Cornish, White Jersey giants, and some redstars. I love just about everything about the Delaware. It seems to be a great dual purpose breed but, I like a little variety in my flock. So I am looking for a meat bird the would free range well. I want to stay away from the commercial Cornish rock cross.I'm not to worried about feed conversion or rate of growth. I was even thinking of using the beds I have and crossing them. I would like some input on a Dellie giant cross, Dellie Cornish cross, or a Cornish giant cross. If the traditional Cornish rock cross is grown but 8 weeks, I would be fine if it took mine twice that long.

Like I said, I'd like your input!
    Brad

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't understand why you would need to make crosses then. The Delaware, Barred Rock, and New Hampshire are all great dual purpose breeds, in my experience. Of course, the Delaware was created from both Barred Rock and New Hampshire. Here, with my strains, I notice that the Delaware and Barred Rock free range better than my New Hampshires. My Barred Rocks stay out all day long, and come in about an hour before lock up; eat a little from their feed, grab a drink of water, and head in.

3. SteeleFaithFarm

SteeleFaithFarm In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Union, Illinois
    I love my Delawares, they make up half my flock. I had read an article about a red ranger but, I haven't had much luck finding more information on it. I guess I was just curious to try to create a bird that fit my situation. What I want to produce is a bird that dresses out a little heavier like the Cornish X rock but has similar qualities to the Delawares. Something that free ranges, dresses out nicely, breeds naturally, calm disposition and few health problems. In mammalian livestock cross breeding produces hybrid vigor. Does that occur in chickens the same way? The dark Cornish crossed with a white Jersey giant seems like it should have some good meat qualities. I just now found out it can take a Jersey giant a year to develop. I was kind of looking for something in the middle between 8 weeks and 52. Are there other breeds you would suggest instead? I truly appreciate your advice and look forward to any thoughts you may have on the subject.

Brad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: