What breed is Claude?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fowl weathered friend, Apr 23, 2009.

1. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    She's a hen that had me fooled until the point of laying! With that comb and wattles--which looked really red at 3 months--stocky legs, loud "mini-crowing" in the morning, and bossiness, I thought she was a rooster.
    Nope! She lays small-medium sized brown eggs, 5-6 days a week. She's a super layer, excellent at being broody--is she ever!--and I have no clue what she is.
    She's probably some kind of mix, but does anyone have a guess at what might have gone into this hen?
    [​IMG]

If you figure out the mix/breed I highly recommend it! As long as you don't mind 'someone' waking you up at 5:30am reminding you to feed them. She hollers bloody murder until we go out there!

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    maybe a RIR?

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    A sex link?

Iam not seeing RIR there, unless its a mix of one...

Iam gonig to bet its a mutt... but what do I know. i look at it and see a chicken.

4. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I raised RIRs from chicks last year and she looks nothing like them except in physique (although she's a bit heavier). They were really Red/auburn, whereas she's different shades of gold and orange. I thought perhaps red sex link but that speckled ruff around her neck and around her tail and feather tips threw me way off.

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    She's a stumper, lol! I think her body shape looks a lot like a RIR, but the pp is right that her coloring is off [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm thinking part GLW, based on a little lacing that I see in her feathers. She's very pretty!

7. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    She kinda looks like a RIR to me....but you said she lays small-med. eggs. RIR's lay x-large brown eggs if I'm not mistaken. Nevertheless she's a nice looking hen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by