What breed is Grandma?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Toril, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with what breed this is? I got Teresa as a young adult - probably around 5 years ago now. She was always grumpy, but very maternal. She's the only one of my hens who have gone broody, and was an excellent mother. I can still hear her screeching and hissing at anyone who came near her babies - adopted or own. However, she seems to have decided to retire. I can relate. [​IMG] We call her Teresa because she looks exactly like a county supervisor by that name.

[​IMG]

2. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I don't know what breed she is sorry, but she is very pretty and I can invision a county supervisor that has her face. That is hilarious.

3. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    Thank you! She does have pretty markings - so it would be cool to know what she is.

Here's another picture in natural light, she does have feathered legs, I think. Although they're so short it's rare to actually see them! This is her with the first rooster we had, he was half bantam, so he wasn't real big. Our current rooster is his grandson.

[​IMG]

4. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    She's a Cochin

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I would say she's Cochin cross. She doesn't have a normal single comb like a cochin would have.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was going to say a cochin too -- they have the prettiest heads. Her coloring and her body shape are lovely. Pretty, pretty hen.

Jenny

8. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    Thanks, everyone, I googled pictures of cochins and I see exactly what you mean - the rounded back and body shape like they're wearing big, old-fashioned skirts. Not sure about the single comb thing... have to look more at pictures to see the difference.

Didn't find any that looked as good as her, though! The closest was a 'Partridge Cochin', but it was a lot darker. If she's a mix, that could maybe explain the markings, or can they be completely different like that?

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Her coloring looks EXACTLY like my Buff Orpington x Barred Rock pullets. But she has feathered legs and a pea (?) comb... I would guess though that she's a Cochin cross, and probably a buff x barred cross. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

10. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    You know, I got a Buff Orpington from the same farm. She was about the same age, too. And one of Teresa's daughters looks like a Buff Orpington. The plot thickens... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by