What breed is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cleo04, Nov 30, 2008.

1. cleo04

cleo04 New Egg

Nov 30, 2008
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi I'm a new member and I wondered if anyone could help me. I recently bought and incubated some fertile white silkie eggs. Everything was going great until hatch time when I got a big surprise when a little black chick popped out. I wondered if it was a silkie but it only has 4 toes and it has hard feathers coming through. I'm really happy with it as its such a cutie. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? It is definitely a bantam as it is the smallest chick I have ever seen! Here are some pictures of the chick who is now 1 week old. (sorry if the pictures don't work)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    A little young to be able to Id. Give it a few months, then send us some pics!

Good Luck!

3. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that a little feathering on the legs?

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I would say they either had a dif breed roo jump in their pen or collected the egg from another breed of hen.

Cute lil silkie cross.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It's a silkie cross due to the dark skin & feather legs. Sweet little thing.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not to be rude, but just because it has dark skin and feathered legs doesn't mean its a Silkie cross. There are other feather footed breeds and there are also other dark skinned breeds. Not necessarily black like silkies but they are dark. I'm guessing that not all of the eggs were pure silkies, or of silkie origin. If it were a silkie cross it would most likely have five toes on AT LEAST one foot. This one has no extras. My guess would be some kind of mix, or maybe a bantam Black Langshan. We'll just have to wait.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Not to be rude, but just because it has dark skin and feathered legs doesn't mean its a Silkie cross. There are other feather footed breeds and there are also other dark skinned breeds. Not necessarily black like silkies but they are dark. I'm guessing that not all of the eggs were pure silkies, or of silkie origin. If it were a silkie cross it would most likely have five toes on AT LEAST one foot. This one has no extras. My guess would be some kind of mix, or maybe a bantam Black Langshan. We'll just have to wait.

actually that is not true about the toes. I have some chicks that are from silkie hens(pure) and a sizzle roo(pure silkie X frizzle cochin), quite a few hatched with single combs and only 4 toes.
    Since you know the breeder has silkies it is more likely that something jumped in with the silkies. I agree it's a silkie cross, you should ask the breeder what other breeds they have running around [​IMG]
    Cute chick [​IMG]

8. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

First, I am not an expert on these things, but I have had a little experience with Silkie cross chicks.

I agree that having or not having the 5 toes doesn't indicate that it is a Silkie cross or not. I have 5 Polish/Silkie cross chicks and some have 5 toes and some have crests--others do not. They are about 5 weeks old now. The person I got them from is very dependable and I am taking him on his word. From what I know, the rooster was a Polish and the hen was a Silkie.

I can't help you with the breed, but that is sure a cute little chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by