What breed is known for going broody?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Knight Hawk Ranch, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Is it Silkies? I would like to get a few just for the broodiness factor.

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Buff Orpington

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Silkies for sure!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Silkies for sure. If you just say 'peep peep' they will all go broody [​IMG]

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Also, my Golden Sebrights were very broody.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

There are the few breeds that tend to go broody. Silkies are number 1, and Cochins, Brahmas, Orpingtons, and game hens are also up there.

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    right now these birds are broody
    1 maran, 1 dominequer(sp) 1 std cochin, 3 frizzles, 5 silkies, and 4 ducks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    broody frizzle turken
    [​IMG]

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    IMHO, Large Fowl Cochins are the best broodies ever. They can sit on more eggs than silkies (which are the best bantam broody) and are very dedicated mamas.

9. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    So how many eggs can a silkie sit on?

I currently have production rir and have only one who went broody last year. No sign of doing it again.
    I have one maran hen and she is only about 2 months into her first lay cycle. I had a couple a marans hens that were approaching 2 years and never offered.

I do have incubators but would like to have a breed that is willing to brood as well.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I am in broody he!! here [​IMG] , i have them every where it is driving me crazy.

I have broody buffs,white rocks,rir's,black aussies,production reds,silkies,frizzles,bramahs light and dark, millie flur ,silver laced wd's, black lanshans and most of my cochins are broody to, i hate it i already have to many chicks and i am tired of selling them too.

I purchased 50 production reds because they are not likely to go broody well i got 6 that are. [​IMG]

Oh and a ton of broody guineas and ducks, i will be glad when they all stop if they ever do [​IMG]

I would say buffs are you best bet , but some of mine won't get off the nest even when all the chicks have hatched and there are no more eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by