What breed is more aggressive?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alexa009, May 1, 2017.

What breed is more aggressive?

Poll closed May 3, 2017.
  1. Red star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rhode island red

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. New Hampshire red

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

Thinking of getting one of these breeds and want the least aggressive one

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sources of the birds can play as big of a role in aggression as breed can. I have some show bred RIR who are as meek as kittens, others have problems with theirs. Pick the breed you like and want. I personally don't like sex links, and new Hampshire don't appeal to me, so I would look for well bred RIR.

3. alexa009

Thanks! You really helped me out! Have you ever had any of these breeds? The rhode island red is quite interesting. Thanks!:hugs

4. alexa009

I have never had the rhode island red.

5. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rhode Island Red roosters are very aggressive. I have heard that red stars are fairly docile and quiet, as long as they are handled frequently as chicks. I have never had New Hampshire Reds, but from what I hear they make great pets;)

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've had and currently have Rhode island reds from a breeder. Mine are docile, and the rose combed rooster I had was very gentle. Those from a breeder are apparently different than hatchery stock, though I haven't tried any from a hatchery.

My sex links I had I didn't care for, they were too pushy for me. I haven't tried any new Hampshire yet.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Remember, it is impossible to breed sex link birds together and produce the same birds that you can buy from a commercial hatchery.

8. conodoguinet

conodoguinet Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Juniata County, PA
    My Coop
    I'm new to the backyard chicken scene, but I'd like to put in a good word for the Red Stars. Mine are delightful birds,not aggressive at all. They're the first chickens I've ever had and they're making me wish I had started the hobby years ago! They're still pullets, so I can't yet vouch for the egg production.

9. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England :P
    My Coop
    I have only voted RIR because the males can fight bad! But the hens are absolutely amazing! I recommend red stars and RIRs!

10. alexa009

I have never had the new hampshire red or rhode island red, I just have a red sex link that is a 11 weeks. She is fairly aggressive in the flock, but definitely the most friendly and tame. I just didn't know if they were as aggressive as the rhode island red or new hampshire red when I was to get more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by