what breed is my bantam? from a newbie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by puppinchix, Jun 6, 2007.

1. puppinchix

puppinchix Hatching

Jun 5, 2007
    eureka,mt
    Cluck Cluck! Our chicks are almost nine weeks old. This little gal was suppose to be a RIR, but turned out as some kind of bantam. I have searched the web for her specific breed (could not find any mention of RIR bantams or anything close to what she looks like). Any clues from the pros?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x52/puppinchix/garnet.jpg

2. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well i am no pro.....but could it be a bantam buff cochin?
    just a guess.

3. puppinchix

puppinchix Hatching

Jun 5, 2007
    eureka,mt
    Thanks for the tip. I looked up the Cochin Bantams and think she could be either a Buff or a Red (she is very red now so will see what she looks like as she gets older). I always thought a chicken was a chicken was a chicken!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Chickens are as different from each other as people are, that's one reason they are such interesting pets. Have fun!

5. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I told my mother today that i cannot believe i have lived on this planet for 39 years
    and not realized how incredible chickens are. I cant explain it, but i think anyone who would be here to even read this would just know. I think if i stopped talking about my chicks.......I wouldn't have anything to say. I hope that goes away a little bit. [​IMG]

6. puppinchix

puppinchix Hatching

Jun 5, 2007
    eureka,mt
    Hello Everyone and thanks for the replies.
    After I posted I left to take summer school for five weeks so have not been in touch. Can't believe how much the chix have grown in the last weeks [​IMG]
    Hopefully will soon be laying some eggs - they are only, barely 4 months old so have a bit yet - the freeloaders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by