What breed is my big boy Chubbs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MastermindRitsu, Aug 23, 2019.

1. MastermindRitsu

MastermindRitsu Hatching

Aug 22, 2019
    hell
    So I have this rooster that I can't seem to find the breed of. I bought Chubbs at Tractor Supply back in February and I believe he is a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster, but he looks absolutely nothing like a Barred Rock because his feathers are white as opposed to black.

However he definitely looks like one; Chubbs has the brown stripes in his feathers, and his tail feathers look the same as my Barred Rock hens.

image0.jpg
    image0 (1).jpg
    Here's little Chubbs as a chick, if that helps identification.

I swear I can remember Chubbs being in the tub with the Barred Rock chicks, and the cashier who picked them out pointed out how different Chubbs was compared to the rest so I took the little guy home.

Is he an albino Barred Rock, or a different breed altogether that my two brain cells couldn't figure out?

Attached Files:

ValerieJ and chrissynemetz like this.
  2. CountryFlock

CountryFlock Songster

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    Looks to be mixed breed. Between barred rock and something else.

ValerieJ and featheredplanets like this.
  3. MastermindRitsu

MastermindRitsu Hatching

Aug 22, 2019
    hell
    Probably with a tank because he's the biggest chicken I've ever seen. Can't imagine what the other breed would be.

HuffleClaw, ValerieJ and CountryFlock like this.
  4. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    looks almost like a Delaware or maybe a Jersey Giant or a cornish x lol got in there with barred rock pen some how, White the barred rock roosters tend to be white dominant on their barring as opposed to the hens there is no way he's a pure bred barred rock even f he got bad genes passed on

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    ValerieJ and MastermindRitsu like this.
  5. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

OMG, I can’t help you much on the breed (though I agree he’s probably a mix of Barred Rock and something else), but I just gotta say Chubbs is adorbs! I have a weakness for roos <3. If they didn’t fight with each other, I’d have dozens of them :).

ValerieJ, MastermindRitsu and slordaz like this.
  6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    only way you could do that is a bachelor pad away from the hens lol

7. MastermindRitsu

MastermindRitsu Hatching

Aug 22, 2019
    hell
    I've actually got 5. They actually get along extremely well and none of them have attacked each other. When they go to mate with the females they all come running and try to push each other off to mate first, but no one can push Chubbs off because he is an absolute unit. Surprisingly he is not the alpha male.

ValerieJ, slordaz and CalBickieMomma like this.
  8. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Lucky! (That your boys don’t fight). If I could let mine free range 24/7 the way they did when I was a kid, I could probably get away with having multiple roos. Mine always seem to turn on one another eventually. In the older part of town where I live, there is an entire flock of just roosters living along the creek. They wander through town (it’s the older village section) and are famous so people will leave food for them and like to see them there. I believe they all got there when locals wound up with roosters they couldn’t keep, so they took them to the park and let them loose. And they all get along :).

ValerieJ and slordaz like this.
  9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a Delaware. Hatchery quality.

10. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Can you post more pictures of him?

ValerieJ likes this.