1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed Is My Chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickyMommy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    This chick is about a week old. We ordered barred rocks, buff rocks, light brahamas, and rhode island reds. It doesn't have the same markings as the barred rocks, barely any white on the back side, none on his chest, face, and no real white spot on top of its head. Its alot smaller than the rest, maturing slower, and the wings that are starting to come in aren't the same as the others. I'm curious if it could be a rooster or a different breed (there is a chance we got a "rare" breed mixed in with our bunch)?? Thank you!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4966372/album/6175223
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4966373/album/6175223

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    no way to sex by a pic at this age.... whered u get it from... i will look over possibilities...

3. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    McMurray Murray Ranch. When will the sex be seen? This is our first time getting chickens so we are new to this whole process

4. ChickenBantam

ChickenBantam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Looks like a barred rock to me. Adorable by the way. I just got some chicks myself. Next time you get chicks, try silkies. They are super fluffy and cute. He or she mit not have the same markings as the other chicks. Everyone is different.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Oh, okay! I was just curious because of how farther behind he/she is from all the others and its almost half the size as the others. I'm sure there are tons of reasons for this, just curious if the reason could be dif breed/rooster. Are silkies friendly? Can we introduce chickens that are the same age when they are about 4 weeks old that haven't been together (i.e. if we got silkies in two or three weeks)? Thank you for your help!

6. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you!! I'm hoping for a Black Minorcas but it will probably end up being a BR.

7. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Silkies are extremely friendly and super cute. They do tend to go broody thought and their eggs are smaller than the ones you will get from the breeds you have. Yes you can introduce them to your babies. At that age should not be a problem.

8. ChickenBantam

ChickenBantam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi, again! I just thought I'd tell you my impute on silkies. Silkies are very easily handled chickens, they are very sweet and docile. Silkies were my first chickens, I got 6 last year. If you end up with a rooster or two, don't worry because they are probably the sweetest roosters around. I didn't know anything about them when I bought them! I just went to a feed store and saw the baby chicks. I bought them and saw when they were growing up how funny they looked. Their feathers are like fur. If you do get baby chicks and want to know if you got males or females, go to mypetchicken.com. You can pick what you want. That's where I got my new babies, and I'm loving it! I needed only females, because my neighbors hate roosters. But really, mypetchicken.com is awesome. I really recommend it. Well, I hope I helped!

1 person likes this.
  9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My silkies are easy to catch, but very dumb. I think it's because of their impaired vision :lau

I introduced a 6 week old silkie into my established flock of older chickens, and they didn't attack her at all. I don't think they knew what she was :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by