1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is my chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by katschickens, Jul 17, 2015.

1. katschickens

katschickens New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

She is 5 months old, and is producing small brown eggs. She just started laying earlier this week. She was one of the first chickens we bought and had no idea what "pullet" meant, so my hubs thought that was the breed :). He is such a silly man.

[​IMG]

2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Welcom to BYC!
    Red sex link

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  3. katschickens

katschickens New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Thank you!

We have a white one as well that came with her, and she is not as large as the White Rocks we got, and her crown is much larger than theirs. We had suspicions that she may be a cockerel, but some people have agreed that she is a hen. The white rocks I compare her to are just a few weeks younger than her and they are much much bigger, but I guess that is how the Rocks are built.

These are my 6 oldest chickens: 2 White Rocks on the left, the Red Sex Link, 2 Barred Rocks, and the unknown white one...

[​IMG]

4. Akrnaf2

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Does she have a white ear lob?

5. katschickens

katschickens New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    [​IMG]

I don't know, can you tell in this pic? She is the one up front (much younger photo, taken May 26). The current photo of her was taken a few days ago.

6. Chick o Dee

Chick o Dee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    She looks like a White Leghorn

7. katschickens

katschickens New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Ooooo! I've been wanting a Leghorn! That would be awesome if she is!

I told my husband I wanted one of each breed/color of chickens, but he said no. LoL

Maybe when we have had enough time raising chickens, then he'll let me have a few more.

8. Chick o Dee

Chick o Dee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Lol. Leghorns are great for egg laying. I have five hens and a rooster. Although they aren't the best pets since they are flighty.

9. Akrnaf2

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You can know for shore if it is White leghorn ( that was my direction) if she will have a white ear lobe, and white eggs.

10. katschickens

katschickens New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    I have not seen any white eggs in the nests yet, but I will keep an eye out for them. I think most of the chickens I got just happen to be brown layers.

And she has flown over the neighbors yard several times now, it's a 6 ft fence. They don't mind though, they have a really huge yard, they have over 8 acres of property compared to our 2 acres...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by