What breed is my chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chloe oxman, Oct 14, 2013.

1. chloe oxman

chloe oxman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 6 weeks old chicken that I hatched. Was told he/she was a road island leghorn or something. I don't know if that is right but that's what I was told. What do you think it is? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Also, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but do you think it's a male or female??
    Thanks a heap. :) :weee

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The chick is young and you might get a better picture of the comb, but from that picture with the pink wattles and comb in the first pic I would vote possible roo. He also seems to have feathered feet? Would guess Langshan or Marans or mix in that case, especially with the black color.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Black Langshan, Marans, or possibly hatchery-quality Black Cochin. Or it could be a mix of those breeds. Its still young to tell, but the pink comb/wattles are making me think cockerel as of right now. But I would post new photos in a few weeks; by then the gender should be more obvious.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you have a Black Langshan or a Black Cochin (hatchery-quality, as it doesn't have very much feathering on the legs). Due to the pink comb and wattle, I'm guessing rooster.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I agree - looks roo-ish, and it could be a black Langshan, Marans, or really poor quality Cochin - only time will tell.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Looks like a Black Langshan roo.

7. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    With the black legs, I don't think it is a Cochin. Mine all have gold colored legs even the black ones.
    I love the white markings on it, even though I expect it will grow out. Since the person that you got it from said it was a RIR Leghorn, I am thinking this chick is a black sex-link. One of the parents is obviously wrong since it has those feathered legs, but maybe that parent also was a cross and that is where the feathers came from.
    Beautiful chick, never-the-less.

BTW...I have a bantam chick that is a couple of weeks older that is supposed to be a purebred. It also has feathered legs like your chick. I havd looked everywhere trying to decide on what breed it could be. I still haven't figured it out and probably never will as he is being sold.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. chloe oxman

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Just took it back out to the farm where I got it from. Is was told that it is definetly a girl. I looked at all her siblings and their all roosters. She looks nothing like them. So happy it's a girl. Now I can keep her here. I put her with her brothers to see if she liked it better there but she freaked out n cried when I walked away. I got a little emotional so the man said I could keep her. Super happy I have my baby now. She is happy where she is n loves being my girl. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

good enjoy her noow! i cnt say anything on the breed, sorry

10. chloe oxman

Oct 8, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah I have no idea. Haha. I'll just say it's a black chicken. Not going in shows or anything so I guess it doesn't really matter. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by