what breed is my cockerel ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rafaenadeem, Oct 31, 2016.

1. rafaenadeem

rafaenadeem New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    i bought him from my local pet shop , the people there did not know what breed it was they said it was a cross , but were unsure what breed exactly . it would be really helpful if someone would help me out . the age is around 7-8 weeks .

[​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Personally i think he is a very mixed breed rooster. Couldnt even tell you what he could possibly have in him. Do you mean 7-8 months?

3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Oh and :welcome

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. rafaenadeem

rafaenadeem New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    oh very mixed dont sound to good, or is it a good thing ? haha yeah months not weeks 7-8 months . thanks i have been raising chickens for a few years now thought id join BYC now . yeah i only bought him because of his leopard like patterns . what do you suppose he may be ?

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah that's a lot older than 7 weeks.. ;)

Wyandotte cross might work for his coloring. The genes for lacing, spangling(the black spots), pencilling share some genes in common- with single lace requiring the most genes. Basically you can get sort of a fake spangle like that with an laced wyandotte cross because in the cross, they are not pure for all the necessary genes for single lace, so it can throw all sorts of possible patterns depending on what genes the other parent has.

Some will say he cannot be wyandotte cross because he has a single comb, not a rose comb.. they are right to say this however single comb floating around in wyandottes is not such a rare thing.. a wyandotte not pure for rose comb will throw half single comb chicks if bred with a single comb bird.

Lastly, wyandottes are such a common and widespread breed, which makes it a plausible choice plus he has sort of a wyandotte-ish body shape.

If he is bred with a wyandotte and some reasonably good laced birds show up, very likely he is a wyandotte cross.

Cool looking roo, btw!

1 person likes this.
  6. rafaenadeem

rafaenadeem New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Thanks for that detailed explanation, i will most certainly buy him a Wyandotte partner and post the outcome here for all to see , yeah he looks so cool and he is so gentle and a big scary cat he is scared of pullets is well haha very gentle and friendly.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    cool, you will have fun watching the chicks grow out their feathers. They will come in a huge variety.. spangles like his, pencilled, double laced, single laced and many variations in between not so easy to define. :)

I had pictures of crosses and 3/4 backcrosses but cannot find them right now.. thought they were so beautiful.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed but truly handsome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by