What breed is my Cookie? Pic included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nicole01, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What breed is my Cookie? The hatchery said Americauna, but she has feathers on her feet. I don't think Americauna's have feathered feet. I can't wait to find out what color she will be.

[​IMG]

Here are my other two. [​IMG] I love my girls. They are so adorable!

Sunshine
    [​IMG]

Gyspy Rose
    [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Cookie looks like a dark Brahma chick. I just hatched some out about three weeks ago. Very friendly chicks. If you google dark Brahma hen you will see how pretty she will be. Sunshine is probably an Easter Egger and Gypsy Rose maybe a production red? Not too sure on the last two.

3. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    When I saw the photo I also thought dark brahma chick. Nice looking chicks. Good luck

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Cookie looks like she has a single comb which would rule out Brahma. Her legs also seem to be a little more heavily feathered than you would see in a Brahma. I think she's a Cochin.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

the barring colors, the feathered legs, the yellowish legs, and that big head and serious face = Dark Brahma [​IMG]

Sunshine I say possibly an EE especially if from a hatchery.

Gypsy Rose (hey I have dog named Gypsy Rose [​IMG] ) I agree with one of the production breeds or maybe red sexlink.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:they came from a hatchery, so even with the single comb I say a brahma. Every other feature points to brahma, that head and face and the pattern of the wings looks just like my hatchery brahmas did 4 weeks ago at that age. Hatcheries often have chicks with the wrong combs and patterns, as hatcheries do not breed for true standard, more production quality birds. Great pets, and they themselves say 'they do not breed for the breed standard and do not supply show quality birds'

I love brahmas - any chicks [​IMG] they are all adorable and fun. Enjoy your chickies and have a great day Nicole

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Oh, I know all about the hatchery birds and how they mess up. I got some SLWs in that had single combs. I'm familiar with light Brahmas but not so much the dark Brahmas. She just reminds me of some partridge Cochins we got in. Guess we'll have to wait and see how she grows. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you all for your input! These are our very first chicks! I'm very much in love with them and the little hens love us too. They jump up on our laps and fall asleep or turn their heads to look at us. [​IMG]

9. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I agree with the others. She looks very much like our dark brahmas.

[​IMG]

We have one that is the lighter grey color also. Good luck with your babies!

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you all! Cookie is indeed a dark brahma. Sunshine is an EE and Gyspy Rose is a Rhode Island Red. I'm almost positive all three are girls. They came from a 90% probability of being pullets. I have a really good gut feeling they are all girls. Plus, Gyspy has the stripe down her head as RIR pullets do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by