What Breed is my "Free Rare" Mystery Chick? PICS included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RaeRae2, Feb 28, 2012.

1. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Saturday I received my McMurray order and I "think" this is my free rare mystery chick. The other breeds I bought (and I can easily identify) are:

Ancona
    Aracauna
    Silver Spangled Hamburg
    RIR
    Black Astralorp
    Light Brahma
    Dark Brahma
    Dark Cornish
    Golden Laced Wyandotte

This mystery chick has light yellow legs with no coloring or shading on them, no fur on the legs, no 5th toe, no chipmunk cheeks, He came very weak and spraddle legged, but is doing great now - totally normal. He is a tiny bit bigger than the Silver Spangled Hamburgs, which are the tiniest of the bunch. He is considerably smaller than the other breeds, except the Ancona. He is about the same size as the Ancona.

His color is a creamy yellow with gray'ish smutty shading. There are black rings around the eyes.

Any ideas please??? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I don't know the breed but the spots/ stripes looks like a bug on his back, cute!

3. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    I know, doesn't it! LOL. The markings look like a spider's back! I really can't figure this out!

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I saw some like this just the other day. I'll try to find what they were.

5. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    Where did you get them? Never mind just read your post again.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I can't find them. I know what I was looking for: hatching eggs for either sablepoots, d'uccles, d'anvers or dutch bantams. It must have been on ebay or preloved, but I can't find the advert anymore. Sorry.

7. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    You think you saw chicks with that same pattern on their back? That is really distinctive so I was wondering if it was just a one-time deal on that one chick, or if it is a common pattern on that breed. Whatever that breed is........
    Well, thank you for trying! This is driving me nuts! haaaaa[​IMG]

8. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    Does anyone think he might be a Derbyshire Redcap? The striping patterns and black rings around the eyes are very similar and McMurray does hatch them.

9. Young Farmer

Young Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    He kind of looks like a Silver Spangled Hamberg. But dont take my word for it as I am no expert. I orderd from mcmurry and got a a chick like yours as my free rare chick and it was a hamberg rooster. He turned out to be very loud so I sold him at a chicken swap.

Hope this helps

10. RaeRae2

Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks, but I ordered 4 Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and the 4 are VERY distinct and look nothing like him. One of the 4 was dead on arrival, but the other 3 are a silvery grey color, they are smaller than he is, they are very speedy and zippy, and they all have identical markings. This chick is more yellow with some smutty color on him, he is bigger than the Hamburgs, and he has a different temperament/personality. When you see the 3 Hamburgs next to him, it is very obvious that he is something different.

BUT I did wonder if he could be a Gold Hamburg. Redcap, Buttercup, or Gold Hamburg are about the only 3 things I can narrow it down to.

Hmmm.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by