What breed is my grey pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SoORchick73, Jun 23, 2011.

1. SoORchick73

SoORchick73 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    looks like an EE to me, not a very good picture with the angle and all but I think i see puffy cheeks, patterning suggests EE

3. SoORchick73

May 9, 2011
    Eeks sorry, newbie....whats an EE? Thank you!

4. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County
    Easter egger! [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hrm... it's really hard to tell from so far away, but to be honest..... I'm kind of seeing a silver Araucana. Did you get your birds from a breeder? It's rare to see a purebred Araucana posted in the 'what is this' section, because they usually are only available from a breeder who you would deliberately seek out and buy from.

Of course, I'm probably getting too excited over a photo that is too far away for a positive id [​IMG]

6. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:No it isnt an aracauna it doesnt have tufts, it has muffs and a beard, you can zoom in on the photo a bit if you put your mouse on the pic an option to zoom in will come up [​IMG]

ETA: Oh and by the way, EE means you will get colored eggs [​IMG] green, blue, even pink is a possibility

7. SoORchick73

May 9, 2011
    lol! no I bought them from a farm/feed store...they had no easter egger signs out, but i did see the auracana sign up on one bin...maybe she was switched? shes always been so pretty, i will have to try to get a better picture of her tomorrow. when she was real little she had spots on her head too...but always just so pretty...

8. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:they dont have signs for aracauna, probably ameracauna, if that is the case someone probably accidently put her in the wrong bin, hatcherys sell EEs under the name Ameracauna but they are actually just EEs which are a mutt. They are almost always amazing chickens and their eggs cant be beat!

9. SoORchick73

May 9, 2011
    Quote:No it isnt an aracauna it doesnt have tufts, it has muffs and a beard, you can zoom in on the photo a bit if you put your mouse on the pic an option to zoom in will come up [​IMG]

ETA: Oh and by the way, EE means you will get colored eggs [​IMG] green, blue, even pink is a possibility

ohhh! really, i didnt know that....so we will know for sure who the colored eggs belonged to. now i DO remember them telling us one of our chicks would produce blue eggs or something like that. is the breed really called easter egger, or is that slang?

10. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA

ohhh! really, i didnt know that....so we will know for sure who the colored eggs belonged to. now i DO remember them telling us one of our chicks would produce blue eggs or something like that. is the breed really called easter egger, or is that slang?

It is really called Easter Egger, everyone says EE though, let me see if I can shortly explain that....

An Aracauna is a breed that came from Europe, it is identified by its tufts and can come with or without a rump (I know that sounds funny lol) they ALWAYS lay a blue egg and come in true colors

An Ameracauna is a breed that was invented in the US and you can find the Breed Associations page online to explain that particular breed further if you want. They always lay a blue egg and come in true colors (examples: blue, black, partridge (i think), white, etc)

An EE is a chicken that has ancestral ameracauna genes lol that sounds weird. What I mean is, Once upon a time, some one crossed an Ameracauna with a (for example) Rhode Island Red. The chicks that hatched from those two were first generation EEs. Depending on what the EEs have been crossed with will depend on their egg color. There is no standard for them, they usually have green legs but also have slate or yellow, or pretty much any color, this depends on the breeds they have been crossed with. Also they can have muffs and a beard or just muffs or just a beard or none at all. Thus, the reasoning for them being a mutt breed. However, they can lay eggs from light green and blue, to olive green, tannish green and turquoise, even pink. They are true Easter Egg layers. They come in all colors and are kind of the crayola chicken of all chickens lol.

Hope that helps you, I know it helped when someone explained it to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by