What breed is my hen? I can't find a match...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eskimex, Feb 19, 2012.

1. eskimex

eskimex New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi ya'll. I have looked at a million pictures and I can't find one that looks like my hen.
    I noticed that the edges of the feathers of a GLW are gold and the inner part is dark or black. My hen on the other hand is the opposite... After looking at some pictures it's obvious that it's not a GLW.

(Not sure if this will help but there's a greenish hue to her feet.)
    So what breed is she???
    I found this post:
    Could she be a Green Legged Partridge Hen?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/50545/green-legged-chicken/10

I appreciate any help! thanks so much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Where are you located and where did you get her from? She's very pretty whatever she is!

3. eskimex

eskimex New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    I bought her at a couple days old from a place in Jerusalem. I live in Israel. She really is pretty. She is also very friendly and not scared at all. She actually seems to like being pet....

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I don't have a clue. Each country has different breeds or even different standards for the same breeds. As long as you are not showing, breed is not that important, though I understand a desire to know.

I don't know if Isreal has a recreational poultry breeders club that put on shows or not. You could possibly check with someone in the agricultural part of your government to see if they have any information on that. It is also very possible what you have is a commercial chicken, which is a cross and not a specific breed. That wouldn't surprise me at all. She looks compact, like a good efficient egg layer.

It is also possible she is what we call a mutt. A mutt is a chicken with different and often unknown breeds in its background. Mutts are what I generally raise.

1 person likes this.
  5. eskimex

eskimex New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Wow. Very interesting. Thanks so much for that reply. I'm going to find out more.

She just started laying a couple of weeks ago. Small white eggs. I expected brown eggs because her lobes were red, but I just noticed that at the center of the red lobe there is a white spot! So I guess she's laying white eggs after all. They are pretty small though compared to the eggs that the white chickens I'm chicken-sitting for are laying. (They are retired production egg layers. There a a name for that?)

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is really normal when they first start to lay thet the eggs are small. The hen has not yet reached full growth and her internal egg laying factory may have a few kinks to work out, so her body protects her by not having her lay full sized eggs to start with. The eggs should gradually get larger as she matures. After her first adult molt, they will get larger again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by