What breed is my hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tiana's chickens, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2017
    I've had a hen for a few years now and I've always wondered if she's mixed with something. Both her parents were black "pure bred" Australorps but she looks nothing like her parents... does she remind anyone of any other breeds she's possibly mixed with? Her parents must have had some hidden genes. Any thoughts?

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1206.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0946.JPG

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could have been a black sex link.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    X2.

Cool looking bird.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Chicken Obsessed

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    That is not a black sex link.

She is a mixed bird, not full Australorp, and likely not even half Australorp as black is fairly dominant for the first generation mixing, so if one of her parents were a full bred Australorp over something else, she would likely have been just black.

Obviously there was a fence jumper somewhere a generation back as she is a mix of a mix.

I've not got feather genetics down well enough to tell you what would have trumped an Australorp black to produce that, but she is a columbian buff pattern with some incomplete lacing??? That could have been hidden by a dark mixed parent to come out in the 2nd generation especially if bred to another dark mixed parent.

Hopefully someone can jump in to describe the feather color genetics better.

Very, very pretty bird.

5. Tiana's chickens

Dec 7, 2017
    Thank you very much for your reply

drumstick diva likes this.
  6. sevenfatcows

sevenfatcows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Black Australorp X Buff Orpington Hen who looks a lot like this. She is very pretty, sweet, and a good layer and broody.

7. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I didn't mean that she's a black-sex link, I meant that her parents were probably sex-links.

8. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Flock Master

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Such a pretty hen. :eek:

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Chicken Obsessed

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Sorry to disagree, but again, not likely.

A bsl hen is black with red bleed through. A bsl rooster is single barred with often red bleed through.

Breeding would get 50% barred, either gender, and 50% nonbarred black based as both hen and roo have black base.

How much the secondary red/gold would show is variable, but I don't think buff Columbian is typically hidden in the breeds used for bsl let alone partial lacing...but I also know black can cover hidden patterns revealed later.

I just don't leap to this type of pattern likely from bsl to bsl.

Very pretty hen. Be fun to learn what is behind her.

10. Tiana's chickens

Dec 7, 2017
    The lady I got the hen off was a friend of ours and I got to see her flock were black Australorps including the rooster. She was pretty observation with her chooks and noticed that one Australorp hen always layed a bigger browner egg, whenever she hatched those eggs in the incubator the chicks would grow up like my hen. There are no other chickens near by so the father was always the same black Australorp rooster that roamed with the flock. All the other Australorp hens would hatch regular black Australorp chicks. I don't know anything about how genetics work but this is what I saw and have been told.

The lady was told her hen breeding stock were pure bred black Australorps when she bought them, all the hens looked the exact same but one hen kept producing these gorgeous looking chickens

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by