What breed is my hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue_Myst, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I've had this little girl since she was a young laying pullet (hence, I have no chick pictures to go with this), and she has me stumped as to what breed she is. I thought she was a Black Star, the color pattern matches, but I'd say she only weighs 3 to 4 pounds! She's smaller than my EE's are! Any ideas? And please excuse her scruffiness, she's usually very sleek, but, alas, molting season has arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's got a black/gray face, and gray legs with a greenish tinge, in case it's hard to make out from the photos. Her crown was always small (I got her from a home that had too many chickens and she was the smallest of them all, hence the scarring. My EE didn't help much either).

Hopefully I can finally get this mystery solved! [​IMG]

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    did you say she is laying? what color are her eggs? she looks like my little ee hen!

4. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Wow, that was fast!

I saw a black banty like this on the Murray McMurray website. Had the tail like that. I don't know if it had the brown on the chest, though.

Here's the link:
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/bantam_black_japanese.html

Hm, that tail does look like hers! It's actually more like a bright, flaming orangey-red. The photos don't do the color justice. When the sun shines on her she has a green sheen to her feathers too. Never had a hen that glittered in the sun before!

did you say she is laying? what color are her eggs? she looks like my little ee hen!

She lays cream-colored eggs, but she did come with a batch of EE's that all laid cream-colored eggs, so that could be true.​

5. Kendall Chicks

Kendall Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    Thats an Americana. I have two of them myself. They lay the best blue/green large eggs!!! I call them easter eggs

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:You probably have EEs Kendall Chicks. I don't think her hen is a Ameraucana or EE. It is not the same comb.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  7. Kendall Chicks

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    It starts out kida cream then the colors get a little bit more vivid

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:You defenitly have EEs.

9. Kendall Chicks

Oct 18, 2009
    Merrimack
    Well sometimes being up in person makes a world of differance too. You might be right

10. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    No, she has a single comb, not a pea comb.

They lay the best blue/green large eggs!!!

Oh man, you're lucky! I've never had one that layed blue or green eggs, always pink or cream.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by