What breed is my hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaceyLu96, Jan 7, 2015.

1. LaceyLu96

LaceyLu96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    I bought this hen from a lady I get all my chickens from, and she wasn't sure of breed, and I am not either. I've been told she looks like a red sexlink but I've had red sexlinks and she looks nothing like any of them, as a pulley she had brown and white spots, now she's brown with white spot types, she is also VERY brown, not a red feather at all.
    Thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    She looks like a barnyard mix to me...which technically is all a Red Sex Link is too as it is a hybrid (mix) between a red based male (which includes shades of brown) and a silver based female such as Delaware or White Rock or Silver Laced Wyandotte, which causes the chicks to be color coded by gender.

I've had barnyard mixes that were between a White Leghorn and a RIR mix come out looking like this.

Remember there are lot of different flavors of RSL including those that come out more gold and those that don't simply by what birds they use for the hybrids.

My thoughts
    Lady of McCamley

3. LaceyLu96

LaceyLu96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Do you think she'll go broody often? My Cochins and silkies do often, and I'm really wanting broody hens

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It's hard to know with barnyards...they do tend to go broody more often than commercial layers. I have never had a RSL/GSL go broody for me. I have had 2 of 3 BSL (black sex link) go broody.

However, it is not likely she will be as broody as Cochins or Silkies...those are the brooding queens.

But there is hope :D

I have a Welsummer/Wyandotte...with I think a little game....mix that broods nicely for me...about twice a year...but I need my Silkies and Cochins if I want to brood 3 to 4 times a year.

Lady of McCamley

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a barnyard mix to me, too.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pretty barnyard mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by