What breed is my little Ebony?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenPeep, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    SEE BOTTOM OF POST FOR RECENT UPDATE.
    I hatched this little guy/girl about 3-4 weeks ago. His/her name is Ebony. I thought it was just a black silkie like all the others because it has feathered feet and black skin. But thes it started growing regular feathers, not silkie feathers. She (lets just call it a she for now [​IMG]) Is completely black except for a little brown 'dusting' at the tips of some feathers. Any ideas? She's only 3 & 1/2 weeks old so i don't know if you can tell the gender yet..... But what breed?!?

If you need any more pics, feel free to ask! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is getting little pin feathers under her chin. You can kinda see it in this pic, but not much. Could that be a beard? Just throwing out possibilities! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~UPDATE~
    While for a while it was deided that Miss Ebony was a Silkie- D'uccle cross, that is not true. I recently visited the woman that gave us her egg and asked her if she had any D'uccles. She did have a few, but they were not in the same pen as the silkies, and were red and black. She told me that Ebony is atually a Americauna - Silkie cross! What do you think about that? I was honestly a bit shocked because most people (Including me) were sure she was a D'uccle.
    Here's Ebony now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is quite the snuggler!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Maybe a silkie cross? Looks like a pullet too [​IMG]

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    silkie x cochin IMO, and a pullet! [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm, she has the skin coloring of a silkie, and the feathered legs, and she has silkie eyes. I'm betting she's a mix......Very cute!

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks for the quick replies! And pullet? Really? How can you tell?!? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks silkie mix...by the looks of it it has black skin,plus the poof spot on its head, then the heavy feathered feet could come from a cochin, d'uccle, or any other feather footed breed.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I vote silkie/polish mix (do I see a little head poof)? She's adorable![​IMG]

8. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    My silkie d'uccle crosses looked like that when they feathered out: very fringy around the edges, but hard feathered, not silkied. Was the hen a silkie? Do you know what she could have crossed with?

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    oh. my. gosh. she looks exactly like my hen, ebony! she is a cross between a cochin and a silkie/rosecomb mix! is there a possibility your ebony could be the same?

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Yes you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by