What breed is my little lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CascadiaRiver, Jun 11, 2016.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We took a small white mystery egg home from a poultry show and hatched it, while later now (maybe few months) ive finally decided she has outgrown all 3 of our OEGB, which is what we thought she was. What do you think?

Will her ears turn white and she'll be a BRR bantam phoenix? Or be a little bantam welsummer? Or is she a super big oegb? (There were no standard oeg there by the by)

[​IMG]
    Above is the bird in question...

Below is a shot of how big she is compared to 2 oegbs older than her...
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe she is a light brown leghorn pullet.

3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    x2

4. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    But here's my thing, shes a few months old (so totally a bantam but still a pullet because though no eggs yet) and if she's a Leghorn shouldn't she have white ear lobes already? I will look up her age but I think my buttercup had white ears earlier than this.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The earlobes don't really start to develop until the comb starts to develop. She is too big to be a bantam. She's got the classic, lanky build of a Leghorn.

6. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Wait, she's too big to be a bantam? I have bantams who are bigger than her... And I can totally see where the leghorn comes in, thank you all for the help, I will be happy to try and watch as the colour in her face and ears begin to come in <3

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Sourland

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's larger than the mature bantams in the picture with her, but she clearly isn't mature or fully grown yet. She's got more growing to do. And depending on the breed of bantam, she might not be that much larger. Remember that a lot of bantams are scaled down versions of standard sized breeds. Bantam Cochins or Brahmas are going to be much larger then the average OEGB, because they are scaled down versions of a 'giant' breed. And Silkies and Polish are typically larger in size than most bantam breeds. They are usually closer to the average Leghorn in size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by