1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is my little roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redneckchic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. redneckchic

redneckchic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern California
    I hardly ever post so I hope im doing this right...
    This is "Rudy" my little rooster. I got him from a yard sale last summer... yes a yard sale! The owners didnt know his breed & didnt matter much to me cuz hes so dang cute. Now... I just love his personality and tempement and im thinking of breeding him so I need to know the breed. At first I was thinking Old English Bantam but I don't think the comb is right, judging by pics ive found. So now im thinkning maybe Japanese Bantam!?? He only stands about 8" tall [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any guesses??? :)

First 2 pics are when I first got him. The last 2 are more recent... you can see hes more feathered out and mature looking.

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    He looks like Dutch to me... But I've never owned any old English. His color is splash. On the old English his comb is correct but that big old white earlobe I don't know about. They cut the combs and wattles off of the adult show birds.

He looks sick in that pic with his tail down like that. I'd check him for parasites...and check his vent and see if he was good weight!

3. redneckchic

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern California
    After a little more digging im thinking Dutch now too.
    I didnt realize they cut the combs on the Old English show birds... that must be what was confusing me.
    I dont think hes sick... i woke him up from sleeping on his perch so i think he was just out of it.
    Hes very perky and good appetite. But thank you

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a neat looking rooster!

5. redneckchic

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern California
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by