What breed is my new chuck?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KMeade, Aug 17, 2011.

1. KMeade

KMeade Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    I was sold this pullet as a welsummer but she looks more like a dorking, but doesnt have the dorking 5 toes. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    She's not a Dorking (Dorkings have five toes and white legs).

Here's a list of the breeds that I know of that come in that color, but with yellow legs: Old English Game (Silver Duckwing and Golden Duckwing), Silver Leghorns, Silver Duckwing Yokahomas, and Phoenix (Silver Duckwing and Golden Duckwing).

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:I think the tail is wrong for a Yokohama or Phoenix; the hens of those breeds and other long-tails carry their tails lower, their tailfeathers are longer, and they curve downward.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    My vote is for Silver Leghorn!

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    wouldnt leghorns have tighter feathers along with a slender body?

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Looks like a silver duckwing color variant Wellie. When I got a hatchery chick at the feed store this spring there were some lighter colored ones in the bin (I avoided them thinking they might be boys with a paler head) and I looked it up. I kicked myself for not picking myself up one. Apparently its pretty rare but out there, especially since they were hatchery. Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Could she maybe be some kind of cross? Her body type and feathering don't really look like any of the breeds I listed.

Maybe she's a Welsummer crossed with one of the breeds I listed. Or not? [​IMG] A rooster could have gotten into the pen by accident, or some hen flew in and laid her egg... [​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The first difficult part with IDing this bird is that it is hatchery stock, so it will not be a shining example for it's breed, just really really good at laying eggs. The second is that it appears this picture may have been taken during a cold time of the day, or right after a dust bath for those birds. They all appear fluffed up. That's kind of why I was leaning towards leghorn.

If it's hatchery stock, there is a really good chance that it's a cross with another breed just due to the hatchery breeding program. Oh hatcheries, how much heartburn you give us all! [​IMG]

9. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    It would be very helpful if KMeade will tell us where they got the pullet--we cannot assume it was a hatchery. It would also be very helpful if we knew the country of origin for the bird. I am still sticking with Silver Duckwing Wellie. Here is a link to a website that has a picture of her Wellsummers including a Silver Duckwing hen:
    http://thecrazychickenlady.com/crazy_026.htm

10. KMeade

KMeade Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by