What breed is my roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RandyTheRooster, Mar 15, 2016.

1. RandyTheRooster

RandyTheRooster New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    What breed is my rooster?. He weighs approximately 5-6 pounds, is 5 years old, and crows loudly. The black patch on the back of his neck is just dirt and Vaseline leftover from recent cold fronts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Where did you get him from?

3. RandyTheRooster

RandyTheRooster New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    My grandmother came back from an agricultural market one day, with a beautiful orchid plant the size of a small tree and little brown paper bag that was chirping... I honestly have no idea where he came from other than he was purchased in a (flee market style) agricultural market.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like he might be a red sexlink. Males are usually white with red/gold hackle and saddle feathers.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Looks like a barnyard mix to me.

He may have some Buff Orpington with the way the neck hackles and saddle drape (but the tail is completely wrong for an Orpington).

Could be a factory Gold Sexlink roo...but I think most likely just a backyard mix.

LofMc

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I believe he's a barnyard mix, and mixed enough no specific breed jumps out. He may have some buff Orpington and something with dominant white, but he doesn't look like a simple breed A x breed B cross.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breed

8. RandyTheRooster

RandyTheRooster New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Thank you for all of the responses! I have never been able to say he is XXX breed because he looks different from most pictures I have seen.
    Aside from appearance there is good evidence that Randy is at least part red sex link:
    -Randy is extremely cold intolerant. In the extremely mild South Florida winters frostbite is a real concern.
    -He eats a lot.
    -Shows no fear of other animals unless they have almost "gotten him" in the past.
    It seems very likely he is either a red sex link or a red sex link hybrid.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by