What breed is my roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, after wondering for 2 months what gender this dude is, and numerous posts here on the forums, I believe we've come to terms with the fact that we've had a freeloader on our hands [​IMG] Even though, he refuses to be a roo in anything but genetics! No crowing, and just now I caught him doing an exact replica of my brown leghorns egg song! I think he's doing it just to frustrate me....

Anyway, next question is...what breed is he?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    ooops! was going to ask you to post a pic, but then I realized that for some reason it just didn't load on my computer. unintended bump! [​IMG] my bad

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Oh no, you totally caught me. I hit submit just as I realized I didn't post the pics, LOL! See, 15 chickens and 3 boys under the age of 10 halfway through summer....I'm lucky I can put a coherent thought together...

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I know nothing, but I can tell you he's NOT a Production Red, and likely not a RIR.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Oh no, you totally caught me. I hit submit just as I realized I didn't post the pics, LOL! See, 15 chickens and 3 boys under the age of 10 halfway through summer....I'm lucky I can put a coherent thought together...

wow, you fixed it so fast I thought it was just my slow work computer! [​IMG] shhh....don't tell anyone I'm on BYC at work [​IMG]

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Looks like a red sex-link.

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Aren't production reds and red sex links basically the same thing? If so, I have one for and one against...now you know why it took so long to come to terms he was a...well....a he [​IMG]

8. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Looks like a red sex-link.

I don't really know much at all about them but aren't red sex link males a lot lighter in color than this guy----assuming he is a guy and a red sex link?​

9. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Yep, red sex link, just like my hen Firecracker (on the right)

[​IMG]

younger picture of Firecracker

[​IMG]

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:Nope:]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by