What breed is my Roo????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by candrnyen, Jul 7, 2008.

1. candrnyen

candrnyen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me what breed my rooster is.

thanks
    C J

[​IMG]

2. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Very pretty bird.......looks like a brown leghorn to me!!!!......but he is a little big for a leghorn?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. ChickenBarn

ChickenBarn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Eden, Idaho
    I don't know for sure.... he looks an awful lot like my Roo. I thought mine were RIR's but just posted a question in this forum and one says maybe a New Hampshire Red.

Check out mine and see if they look the same..

[​IMG]

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Note the large white earlobes & yellow legs. Certainly looks to be a Light Brown Leghorn to me.
    However, he does appear heavily builprobably a hatchery bred Leghorn.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeah I was wondering about those large earlobes,,,,my leghorns have small white earlobes but they are banties

6. candrnyen

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    does this breed get aggressive? He has been showing signs, that possibly, there is a mean streak in him. He picks on some of my hens. Yesterday he pecked my daughter. I have never had an aggressive rooster.
    thanks
    C J

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I heard that RIR roos can get pretty aggressive. Not sure if that's what he is, but that's my guess.

Sorry.

8. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Here is an article on what you can do to calm a mean rooster down. Maybe if you start while he's just showing a few signs you can head the bad behavior off at the pass.

9. candrnyen

Jun 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you all so much!! your advice is wonderful I am going to try to befriend him. I really hope it works. He is the only rooster I kept and I would hate to see him on the bun:[​IMG]
    I don't have to worry right now about passing that bad gene on because I am collecting eggs now and I am not letting my hens hatch them. I really would not want that gene to continue.

You guys are all so great!!! thanks a ton [​IMG]

C J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by