What breed is my Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggShells2013, Aug 21, 2013.

1. EggShells2013

EggShells2013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I rescued him today from a lady who had some Booted Bantam and also had Silkies all in one coop. She said he's mom and dad were the two breeds......and she called a Silkie bantam. He is very sweet and he's comb is short and his wattle are white.
    What breed is he?

2. EggShells2013

Apr 23, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This another picture he has beautiful gold feathers and green-in his tail

3. EggShells2013

Apr 23, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like he's what she said he was.

1 person likes this.
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yup he's a cross between the two breeds. And his ear lobes are white, his wattles (under his beak) are red [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. EggShells2013

Apr 23, 2013
    North Carolina
    Ohh wow, thanks!.... I have a Splash Silkie show quality ,I wonder what would come out of it if they decided to breed.

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Most the babies would be hard feathered like him. But you could breed a son back and keep back breeding to get the silkie feathers back. Or just do it the easy way and get a good type silkie rooster.

8. EggShells2013

Apr 23, 2013
    North Carolina
    How nice...thanks. But he flew away and he is very hard to catch, he remains under the pine trees and if he sees anyone he hides, then he comes by our front porch to sleep. I'm going to try to catch him tonight asleep.

9. pepsiokay

pepsiokay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Wiltshire UK
    I have two show quality roosters you can have if you're in the uk???

1 person likes this.
  10. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Make sure all lights are off, and use a fishing net if you have one. This will increase your chances of getting him. I had one silkie rooster that would run in the dark, couldn't sneak up on him to save his life. I ended up feeding him in one spot and called chick chick when I did. After he was use to eating in that spot when I called chick chick, I started putting the food in a wire dog kennel in that spot. Once he was going in the kennel to eat without running out after one peck, I tied a string to the door and pulled it through the back of the kennel (leaving the kennel door open). I than fed him and called chick chick, when he came into the kennel to eat, I pulled the string and held the door shut with it while DH ran over and latched the door shut. Hope this helps if you don't catch him the easy way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by