What breed is my rooster and my hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FoodKillah, Dec 19, 2010.

1. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    [​IMG]
    My rooster, what breed is he? He is huge.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What breed is that -black-gold- hen? She is young on the first picture, older in the second
    She is my most heavy hen, she might be heavier than the rooster, very heavy!
    ________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are those brown hens, RIRs??? Or what? Their neck feathers are missing because of pecking.
    Tip: they make huge brown eggs.

I hope someone can give me a clue, what breed of chickens do i keep. The chicken farm only answears as "egg layers" and "meatbirds".
    But i am very curious, especially for the rooster and the black-gold hen, i want to incubate her eggs when i build my incubator, to get huge birds. But i would like to know what breeds they are.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Columbian rock roo and the hens... The black and gold is a mix of some sort likely a sex link-very productive layers. And the red hens look like production reds.

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    sorry that is not a culumbian rock he has white ear lobs and that larg meditaranan comb the is a mix look like culumbian rock/whit leghorn the hen looks like a game cross

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The roo looks like a cross to me. His shape is Mediterranean and his comb/wattles scream it, but then again he looks a bit too heavy to be pure. I don't think leghorns come in columbian.

The black/gold hen is a mutt. It doesn't look like a BSL to me.

The reds are either Production Reds or Golden Comets, I can't tell due to the fairly bad featherloss.

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:I just made a small research and i found that Columbian Leghorns exist. Link So my rooster might be a Columbian Leghorn

Also i think my brown hens are Production Reds, i can confirm after looking at pictures in google and compare that to my brown hen that has no missing feathers, i have no picture of her tho.

But what about that black-golden hen? I havent found anything on her

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    the black and gold hen-
    she is a mutt

8. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:[​IMG] my poor hen has no breed then

any ideas of what she could be a mix of?

9. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    What color egg does the black and gold hen lay??? I have a EE that looks just like that and mine doesn't have muffles but she lays a nice big green egg.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Your red hens are Red Sex-Links (aka Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Red Stars, etc.). Your very handsome rooster looks very much like a Columbian Rock to me. He doesn't look Mediterranean to me. He does have red on the edge of his earlobes, his earlobes are not white. Sometimes red earlobes get whitish in the middle, I don't know why. Try googleing some pictures of Columbian Rocks and see what you think. I have a hen that's colored JUST like your black and gold hen. My hen is a Buff Orpington x Barred Rock. Whatever your hen is, she's a cross of some kind...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by