What breed is my rooster? and my two girlies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NicoleMarieDolphin, Feb 25, 2011.

1. NicoleMarieDolphin

NicoleMarieDolphin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi, I got these 3 birds during the summer. The girls have grown up and have started laying eggs, big white ones(white and spotted black hen), and modest brown lightly speckled ones(furry black hen).

The rooster really is something else. He is very nice and romantic to the girls, extremely curious of us, and very friendly.

Here is a youtube video of my rooster:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_vrlLBduM

and here's a better video of all three together:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZsLEwqlsrE

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    The link does not work. [​IMG]

3. blazer327

blazer327 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    try your link again.

4. NicoleMarieDolphin

Feb 25, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, you have to copy and paste it into the address bar. I can assure you that they work.

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Your white hen looks a lot like my splash andalusian - they're supposed to lay white eggs. I can't tell for sure in the video; does she have dark legs?

maybe your black one is a cochin? not sure about the rooster.

nice-looking flock!

6. NicoleMarieDolphin

Feb 25, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    The black one lays too often to be a cochin. she lays just about every day. Twice so far she has laid twice in one day

7. Sumatra55

Sumatra55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Your male is an Ameraucana

8. Sumatra55

Sumatra55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:She is in fact a Black Cochin, She is of the commercial variety as you can tell from the "pointed" tail and thinner feathering on feet and legs, These have been selected more for reproductive traits as opposed to selection for feather quality and conformation in show quality stock which can sometimes have slightly poorer production. I can also guarantee she has not laid twice in one day. She may have laid after you picked them up one evening and right before you picked them up one day but it take between 23-26 hours for an egg to from. [​IMG]

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:At first I was tempted to say he was, but I am doubting that he is pure now.... Brown-Red Ameraucanas are somewhat rare. Having one, yet not knowing what it is is strange to me, and the biggest set-off. His comb, in some angles, doesn't look like a true pea to me... his tail is quite strange looking in certain time specs as well. I think his legs are slate, but I can't tell... I would wait for Illia/etc to weigh in with opinions.

My only guess for the splash is Andalusian - though I thought their combs were bigger.

The black hen is a Cochin.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Don't know about the Andalusian, but you have a Cochin and an EE. I had an identical EE roo once. Took him although everyone was giving the old owner a hard time about listing him as an Ameraucana. He was too mean and went to the farm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by