What breed is my Rooster?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Southern Chickens, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks a bit like a Red Sexlink Roo.

3. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Would that also be called a Golden Buff?

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Holy Chicken coop!!![​IMG] He is beautifull!! I dont know what he is, but wow! Pretty! Thanks for shareing!

5. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    Quote:They are being kept in the dog kennel, just for the moment. He is beautiful, but MEAN!!!!!! I am in the process of building their pen. I did my Silkies cage first. They will have new digs in no time.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some breeders call their sexlinks Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Red Star, etc. Just different names for their particular Red Sex link

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Southernchick......in that first pic, of him with the hens....it almost looks like he has them bowing down at his feet!! I woud SAY he IS mean! LOL

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I have no idea. The first picture should have the caption
    "All bow down before me, the great god rooster!"
    Is he a real dictator to his ladies? He is a beautiful bird tho.

9. Southern Chickens

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    [​IMG]:lol: THAT'S SO FUNNY!!!!!!!! They are taking a dust bath and he's watching every move that I make. I have to carry a bat around when they are out to keep him from charging me. He is a great roo to his ladies. He's so great to them.

I can't be too upset with him, he was a rescue. As were the two Leghorn hens! Taken right out of the battery cage! I don't hit him with the bat it's just for protection. I turned my back on him one day and he buried his 2 1/2" spurs into the back of my leg three times![​IMG] I was too close to his girls. The girls that I gave him. LOL

He is fine with the 95lb Lab that keeps things clear for him. He doesn't like people. He's good to the hens and I have fertile eggs now. I'm sure he'll die of old age with the mixed breed girls.
    I keep the bat near the coop and he keeps his spurs to himself. Plus, I won't ever turn my back on him again!

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2007
  10. tkeyser

tkeyser New Egg

Feb 7, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    southernchick - This is too funny - I think I have the same roo! I was told he was a Red Sex Link Leghorn, so that may help you. Just a regular roo, nothing fancy. But I have gotten a lot of comments that he's pretty, and large. But I don't think too many people are used to seeing an 'old' rooster. I've had him for two years.

I have to move soon and can't take him with me, so I'm looking for a new home for him. If everything works out, he'll be out on a farm taking care of some new ladies by the weekend. I just need to talk on the phone with the lady one more time and drive him up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and as a baby...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by