1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is my Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrockpotsMama, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CrockpotsMama

CrockpotsMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I am not sure of the breed of my rooster. Would he be a Balck Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp? I have been told about the feet, but I have also been told that some giants do not have the yellow on their feet if coming from a hatchery??? He is almost 2 1/2 feet tall from top of comb if this helps and he is mama's gentle baby boy;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    He looks like an australorp to me, but he's got that red undertone. I dunno.

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Given his size, I would have to lean towards Jersey Giant.

4. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    If the whote chicken in the run is full-size He's got to be a giant, beautiful!

5. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you all for your reply. I posted the picture of him next to the others to compare. I thought it might help. They are all 1 year old this spring. And I am concerned he is too big for them. Does anyone have experience with this?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Giving his tail angle and somewhat his body type (even thou he doesn't have feathered shanks) I would say a hatchery type Langshan or at least a Langshan cross.

Chris

7. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Quote:Thanks, I didn't even think of that one. It just might be.

8. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    black jersy giant. he is huge!!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So, would ya care to tell us the color of his soles? [​IMG]

10. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Quote:Well, I will know for postive after this weekend. I will be trimming his nails and spurs for the first time. They look black, maybe even dark purple, but no pink from when he walks. I do not see any yellow, either. But I will be able to see it all better soon and I will be happy to let you know. Hopefully, I can get a good weight on him since he will be 1 year this month. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by