What breed is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by New Chick2, Jul 25, 2014.

1. New Chick2

New Chick2 In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Not really a breed, he's a Sex-Link Rooster.

3. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014

What does that mean? - sorry, kinda new to this thing...

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    He is SO pretty!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    ?? - he certainly does not appear like either a red or black sex link rooster -- -- I'd go with barnyard mix.

6. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014

And he is amazingly friendly, too. Not having had chickens before, I was surprised at how he takes such good care of his hens. He is a real gentleman:)

7. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014

Pretty believable, I guess. We sort of just 'ended up with' chickens. We really didn't 'go get' them where we could ask questions or read a sign :/ but I truly enjoy them.

8. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    But still, if a black or red sex-link isn't a breed, what does that mean and how does it differentiate them from a barnyard mix?

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A sex link is a specific cross that is used to produce chicks who hatch being able to be sexed on sight (there "sex" is "linked" to their appearance - hence the term/name) - for Red Sex links the females hatch red and males hatch white, black sex links hatch black but males have a white/yellow spot/dot on the head. As they mature they maintain these differences in that male red sex links mature white with red patches on the wings, etc and females mature mostly red with white "highlights" for lack of a better term that can be vary in the amount over the body. Black sex links mature with males that are barred and females that are black with copper colored "collars" on their body. The are sold under all sorts of dressed up names (kind of like designer dogs) like comets, stars, queens, etc with the color black, red, gold put before the pretty name -- but they are all red/black sex links.

Red[​IMG] Black[​IMG]

Barnyard mixes are just that - mixed breed birds

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  10. New Chick2

Mar 24, 2014
    Thank you! I know these are pretty basic questions but it seems we do enjoy our chickens enough that they will likely become a major part of the farm operation at some point. I guess I'd rather ask dumb questions and learn than not ask and not learn. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: