What breed is my rooster?

axiseve

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! He looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte, very pretty boy!

You could post clear closeup photos of him at "what breed or gender is this." It would be easier to make out details if he didn't have chicken wire in front of him. It's always good to offer a front view showing comb, and a standing view (like your done) but, a clearer pic. would certainly help

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Very beautiful rooster what ever his breed is!

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I agree with Kelsie2290, it's a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster (rose comb, yellow legs, and all). Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

How important are the crushed oyster shells? What do they do other than give a source of calcium?

How important are the crushed oyster shells? What do they do other than give a source of calcium?

Based on everything I've ever read about crushed oyster shells, calcium is the only nutritional need that they provide. Unless you have laying hens, you don't need to provide crushed oyster shells at all. In fact, an excess of calcium in chickens younger than 18 weeks can actually cause kidney damage.

Oyeter shells also help digestive tract if grit isn't readily available or supplied in coop raised chickens, no so much wiht free range or semi free range, but should really only be provided to laying hens, not growing chicks
caf.gif

Quote: X2 Oyster shell is only good for calcium. As a matter of fact, if chickens eat oyster shell for grit, it can actually impact in the gizzard. So it is never to be used as grit.

And X2 on the causing kidney damage to young chicks not yet laying.

Back
Top Bottom