What breed is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by charnic44, Aug 25, 2014.

1. charnic44

charnic44 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is Carlos. I was told he is an Ameraucana cross but I think he only has a little Ameraucana in him. I'm not using him for breeding but just for 4-H showing. Any suggestions are helpful! :D

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    No Picture

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I am not seeing that a pic came through, but if you were told he had Ameraucana in him that will make him an Easter Egger, EE to BYCer's! EE's are quite popular and their hybrid vigor makes them healthy and vibrant birds! I personaly adore my EE girls and we had a lovely roo as well.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We'll need a photo.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We need a photo to tell what he is. [​IMG]

6. charnic44

Sorry, my phone is ridiculous! Must not have loaded. Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Yup Ameraucana mix, he is a lovely EE roo

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With the straight comb, I wouldn't even call him an EE, but that's for each person to decide for themselves. He could be something like an Olive egger, maybe a generation or so down, with a birchen Marans as the dark egg side.

9. charnic44

That's what I thought, (Olive Egger part). I've read that even Ameraucana crosses have modified pea combs. He does have a little bit of a beard and small ear tufts. I honestly don't know. :confused:

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, those pea combs are usually pretty tenacious. I crossed a nice pea combed EE with a brown Leghorn and got this..

[​IMG]
    Then I put her under a barred Rock rooster and got this...

[​IMG]

So even at that second generation it wasn't a nice straight comb. Granted, my flock is a small sampling, but the pea combs are dominant over straight. Your rooster looks to have a nice straight comb, but then that beard had to come from somewhere, and he doesn't look Faverolles or Orloff [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by