What breed is my Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cicknmama, Nov 19, 2014.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    is he rose combed? looks like a mix...

3. chickens0087

chickens0087 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    I Want to say the two dark brown chickens are speckled Sussex, and the white one is a light sussex. Iam not a proffesional but when i looked it up the pictures and similarities are there . About sexing them i am not sure, with my rhode island reds it was obvious for me when they got older if there was a male in the bunch besides the crowing my rhode island red had bigger legs and was much bigger. I am not sure if that translates universal to all chicken breeds. Hope this helps a little bit

4. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Yes the hens are speckled Sussex, but not sure about the rooster.

5. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    No
    , he has a full comb, any ideas? I will try to find a better picture.

6. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Here is a better picture.[​IMG]

7. chickens0087

chickens0087 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    Ok so i am still thinking it's a multi breed but to me it looks like a sussex just because of it colours on the rooster. If you didnt raise this rooster from birth it is really hard to tell just because someone could have had any two kinds of chickens breeding with each other. The best bet i think you would have is look up chickens sold in your area and maybe you can narrow down some the options, i know in my area they only sell so many varietys probally just because of the cold weather, sorry i couldnt be of more help it's a start :D people will come in and fill in the blanks. Best of luck on determining the breed

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks for the help. I did not raise him, and am new to chickens so I dont know his breed or age. He is a very sweet rooster but I need to re home him. Wanted to get some idea for the ad I will be placing.

9. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Found pictures of Columbian Rock roosters. He has much of the same coloring. Opinions anyone?

1 person likes this.
  10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Rocks have yellow legs and no barring in the tail feathers. Your rooster is a mixed breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by