What breed is my turkey?

the_chicken_ranch

Songster
12 Years
Nov 26, 2007
Terrell, Texas
I just got this turkey hen. She is mostly white, but as you can see fromt he picture of her back, she has some tan in her feahters. Any idea on a breed?
Liana

penny.jpg

penny1.jpg

I think she is 2-3 years old, and she is HUGE! She is so fat she can't keep her legs anywhere near each other, and has so much trouble walking. She has to pick up one side of her body to be able to move her leg. It's pretty rough how big she is. I can't lift her and I am a VERy strong woman. She's so overweight, its hard to even guess what her normal weight should be.
Liana

I'm going to go with a Broad Breasted White cross, possibly with a buff to explain the buff feathers. Might have been an experiment to bring more meat onto the heritage breed. Kinda sad, because BB whites are just so much meat on legs.

If she is just overweight, maybe you can bring her back into better health?

She looks like a broad breasted white. If you don't intend to butcher her, feed her sparingly and let her free range alot. She sounds like she's overweight from your description of her legs and they can get so heavy their legs can't support them anymore. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom