what breed is my wild mamma? (ferrel hen moved in our coop with chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigIslandChicks, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    in hawaii there are lots of wild chickens roaming everywhere...so this one mamma and her 6 chicks moved herself into our coop with our barred rocks - the babies were so cute so we decided to let them stay. well it has been over a month and we have moved and sad to say we lost a few chicks and we are finally a member on BYC and i was hoping that some other chicken lover out there will know what kind she is. since we have moved i rescued the one lonely chick and built its on cage in the coop the keep IT(my next post will be what is it? lol) safe - now known as snickerdoodle since there is only one IT got a name. the night i rescued the chick - mamma was up in the tree squawking like crazy, i kept the baby in the house for a few days until we could get a little setup for IT and since that night she wont come in to roost. but she still hangs around the coop door all day and waits for everyone else to come out and free range in the afternoon. then a good while before dark she flies up into the tree just in front of the coop - and there is no way to get her down. i think she is possibly a mix of red jungle fowl?? but i am pretty new to raising chickens so it is just a guess from some pictures i looked at. any feedback would be great! thanks and aloha fellow chicken peeps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
    She looks a lot like a golden campine, however her comb and wattles aren't quite right. She's a beautiful bird whatever she is. I'm new to chickens as well.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Her colouring is wrong for a campine. I would say she has wild-type colouring, and is a game mix. As I understand the history of these birds, she could be a mix of just about any bird that was loosed by Hurricane Iniki in the early 90's plus the fewer feral chickens who were already there. We were in Kauai in 1990 and did not see a single wild chicken, and we did a lot of wandering around the island.

Here is a campine from feathersite, for comparison. Note the autosomal barring:
    [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The color looks to be a Red Quill but could be a Ginger Red Hard to tell in the picture but I think its a Red Quill.
    As for the breed I would say American Game..

Red Quill on a Old English Game Bantam (Not My Bird)
    [​IMG]

Chris

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't claim to know bantams... but that looks like a good match there

6. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    thank you all -very helpful - chris09 thanks for that photo - that looks pretty much just like her - only smaller [​IMG] there are quite a few of those wild game/fighting roosters roaming where i lived before...and thought she could be a game bird - i hope her little chickie is a pullet - if its a roo i worry he will try to kill my 2 barred rock roo's who are like sweet babies ,(the wild roo at our old house where we got her looks just like those pics of american gamecocks and he tried to scrap with my boys and my hubby had to chase him out of the yard twice, im pretty sure he is the poppa of my chickie) - and i will not be able to sell it because then i will worry that someone will use him for fighting and we cannot have that! so i will end up with a wild fighting roo chained to the unused dog house! lets hope snickerdoodle is a she - i need to go take some new pics of it and post them, maybe someone out there will be able to tell me so i can prepare myself. well i hope i can get mamma back in the coop and out of the tree to give us some more eggs or babies?? does anyone know what color eggs she would lay?? and would that be a crazy cross - when my roos are ready?? i dont know much about breeding but i am very interested in hatching out my own eggs because it is super expensive to ship anything out here to hawaii - it will cost well over a $100 to get only 25 chicks out here - is that a normal price?? im sure this wild mamma is pretty broody and before we moved she was a wonderful mother - but there are just to many cats at the new house. everyones info has been so helpful thanks again.

ahui ho'u

7. OlyChickenGuy

OlyChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:Please, do NOT worry about this! I raise roosters as well as hens, and I've actually found that properly handled roosters are MUCH calmer and more docile than my hens. I had seven roosters at one point ( I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome chickens, so most went to new homes ), a Silkie, three Old Engish Game, a Japanese, a Rhode Island Red x Black Star, and a Dutch x D'Anver, and another batch I had was the same Rhode Island as well as his two brothers, two Campines, a different Japanese, and a Welsummer. Roosters tend to come and go pretty quickly with me because people don't want them, I train them to be tolerable pets, then they go to a new home, while I maintain my own small flock ( currently six, but fostering seven others ) that has a couple established roosters.

Anyway, like I said, I train chickens - and in that, ALL of my roosters homed together in two separate flocks - standard and bantam flocks - and all got together just fine. Very minimal fighting, and all fights were without blood and usually settled in seconds, but they know I'm the boss and what I say goes. That, and my Sizzle ( Silkie x frizzled Cochin - ugly, but sweet ), Mop, maintains a VERY tight balance on the rules and where everyone is in the pecking order, as I say it is ( the highest in the pecking order - and thus those who are fed first, get more special treats, etc. are the most well behaved ). My roosters ONLY crow when they're out, and have been out for awhile, of food or water, or when I've left them for a prolonged period - and even then, they usually only crow for about ten minutes, then silence until I return home. I even live in an area where roosters are illegal, but because I've been able to show that mine are so well-behaved, the city doesn't mind.

If you spend time with your roosters, you can have a flock of them with no noise, no bloodshed, no discourse whatsoever. They are VERY capable of being totally sweet, calm, and nice - and breed has NOTHING to do with it. I've dealt with breeds KNOWN for their aggression ( Game breeds, Campines, Rhode Island Reds, Welsummer, etc. ) and I've had no issue with them. Actually, the biggest issue I ever had was from my Silkie! The Welsummer I dealt with was even a full-grown adult who was NOT human friendly at all, and within a couple weeks he was sleeping on the foot of my bed, sitting in my lap while I watched movies, and would even let other people approach him.

If you want to keep your baby, and it DOES end up being a boy, please, please, please don't end up just throwing him out and thinking that his behaviour is unstoppable and irreversible! I can and I will help you if you need ANY knowledge on how to keep aggression down and having docile roosters. I even know of a rescue way out in Virginia, I think it is, that rescues and rehabilitates fighting cocks to be able to mingle with other cocks without issue, so IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE to keep your roosters without fighting!

I admit I'm fairly new to the chicken world - a year as of August, actually - but I have had little to do ( no work, no school, etc. ) outside of watch my chickens and learn how to work with them. That and I already have a firm understanding of dog psychology, and how to train them, so I passed on a lot of that to my chickens and it's worked. If you'd like to start with, you can check out my blog on my studies and observations of how to deal with chickens, and how to work with their psychology here:

[link]

8. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
  9. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Redquill american game. Most if not all game birds are great foragers and mommas. I would love to have her at my place.

I would say you have a game farm close by you that is probably missing a hen.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Have you tried getting her down out of the tree at night? You sould lock her in the coop for a few days if you can get her, so she knows to stay and roost in the coop. Pretty bird though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by