1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What breed is "nugget" ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chick lovers, Aug 20, 2013.

1. chick lovers

chick lovers Songster

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    [​IMG]
    Here is nugget I have no idea what she is. Can anyone help me? Thanks

2. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

She looks like a Wheaten Maran except for the leg color and the tail tip color isn't right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Oh ya, she does look kinda like a wheaten maran!! Could she be a mix?[​IMG]

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    She also could be a straight up ISA Brown or other sex-linked egglayer. That would make more sense than an off-color Marans. Here's an ISA Brown:

[​IMG]

5. hmmmmm.... that’s true.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

She could be a mix because those neck feathers look like my Red Star's.

7. GreenEggsNSpam

GreenEggsNSpam In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Edelstein, IL
    I believe she is one of the Red Sex-Link breeds, like a Golden Buff, Red Star, Golden Comet or Cinnamon Queen.

All Red Sex-Link breeds are basically cross breeds between a red-breed rooster (like a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red) and a white or silver-breed hen (like a White Rock, Barred Rock, or Silver Laced Wyandotte). They don't breed true when bred to another Sex-Link, so can only be created by cross breeding.

8. chick lovers

chick lovers Songster

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    Thanks for the responses. She lays a super dark egg with even darker spots.

9. Your welcome[​IMG]

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, that does mean that she has a dark egg layer somewhere in her ancestry. A RSL wouldn't lay a super dark egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: